Home > Shop > Railroad Sector

1916 Mexico Tramways Company

 

Click on thumbnail to enlarge

Stock Code MTC1916

  Deposit receipt certificate dated 24th February 1916 for a $500 5% gold bond. Blue certificate with black border.

Certificate size is 20.5 cm high x 30.5 cm wide (8" x 12").

A perfect personalised gift for someone who:

  • works or worked in the railroad industry

About This Company

Framed Certificate Price : £70.00

Certificate Only Price : £25.00

 

 

To order this certificate use the shopping cart below, for payment with Paypal or credit card, or use our mail order service for payment by cheque / cash.
Order Now - Free Worldwide Shipping!
Options
 

 

 

About This Company

On 14 April 1896 the Compañía de Ferrocarriles del Distrito Federal, the principal tramway operator in Mexico City, received permission from the Mexican Government to electrify its lines. A group of Canadian and European investors formed Mexico Electric Tramways Co. in London on 13 April 1898, purchased the CFDF and its franchise the following August, and began a massive construction project. MET - known locally as Tranvías Eléctricos de México - to  electrify and operate the lines.

CFDF ordered 60 electric streetcars from J. G. Brill Co. in Philadelphia: 36 vehicles on 26 June 1898 and 24 more on 12 October 1899. The second batch included two 8-wheel double deckers and 13 motorized funeral trams. On 15 January 1900 a flotilla of electric trams inaugurated the city's first trolley line, from the Indianilla tram sheds to Tacubaya - approximately the same route as the city's first horsecar line 42 years before. The ministers of Mexico, Japan and Russia, Capt. Porfirio Díaz, the son of Mexico's president, and Canadian engineer A. E. Worswick rode the first car.

During the next ten months MET opened six more electric tram lines. New trolleycars began carrying passengers to Villa de Gaudalupe in February, to Peralvillo in April, Mixcoac in May, San Angel in June, Tialpan in October and Dolores cemetery in November. By the end of 1900, MET had 97 km of electric tram routes.

By 1906 MET operated 178 passenger motor cars, 28 funeral motor cars, 44 passenger trail cars, 72 freight motors and 79 freight trailers on its electric lines. On the lines that had not yet been electrified, it had 7 steam locomotives, 139 passenger cars, 51 funeral cars, 205 freight cars, a hospital car and a tram for transporting prisoners. In march 1906 a group of Canadian investors organized Mexico Tramways Company in Toronto. MTC acquired 75% of MET's stock, took control of its tramway system and developed Necaxa dam and power plant in Puebla state.

Following the revolution in 1911, tramway workers went on strike, the new Government seized control of the cars and MTC stock paid no dividends for the next 30 years. Tramway operations resumed in 1915 but MTC control did not return until the end of the decade.

Source: www.tramz.com

 

Home  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Search This Site