The first Lyons teashop
opened in 1894 at 213 Piccadilly. It was the forerunner of some 250
white and gold fronted teashops which occupied prominent positions
in many of London's high streets and suburban towns and cities;
corner sites with two entrances were preferred. At one time seven
teashops operated in London's Oxford Street alone. Food and beverage
charges were identical in each teashop, irrespective of locality,
and the highest standards of hygiene were demanded by management. A
customers complaint was a serious matter investigated at the highest
level. Such attention to detail was one of the secrets of their
success, for the name of Lyons had come to convey to the public a
standard of good quality at a reasonable price. Their tea too was
said to be the best available and the blend used was never sold or
made available to the public.
Outside of catering other
activities developed. Lyons undertook the Buckingham Palace Garden
Parties, the catering events at Windsor Castle, London's Guildhall
where the Lord Mayor's banquets were held, the Chelsea Flower shows,
Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships and many more. Lyons built the
famous Trocadero Restaurant near Piccadilly Circus and then built
the Corner Houses, huge restaurants on four or five floors where
orchestras played continuously. At one time in the 1930s Lyons were
engaging so many musicians that an Orchestral Department had to be
formed to manage these.
Soon the company was
operating hotels (which they built themselves), laundries, tea
estates in Nyasaland (now Malawi), meat pie companies, ice-cream
companies, tea and coffee companies, engineering works, jam and soft
drink factories, confectionery manufacturing and were the first to
introduce frozen food to the British public. During the war they
managed one of the largest bomb-making facilities in the UK and
their engineering works made a range of war materiel. They packed
millions of rations for troops fighting in Asia and other parts of
the world and bequeathed one of their teashops to the American
personnel stationed at Grosvenor Square. Another formed part of the
famous Rainbow Corner in Shaftsbury Avenue, near Piccadilly Circus.
After the war the company
embarked on a rebuilding programme expanding their operations into
Europe and America as well as large projects at home. They acquired
the Baskin-Robbins Ice-Cream company and the Dunkin Donuts
organisation. They developed the Wimpy hamburger chain which
essentially was an American idea. They also built and operated the
world's first business computer which they called LEO (Lyons
Electronic Office). Large new bakeries and meat pie factories were
built with the aid of regional grants. Several smaller ice-cream
companies were acquired to increase market share against the fierce
competition from Walls. After the war many city centres were
redeveloped and Lyons took advantage of building new hotels
culminating in the magnificent Tower Hotel at London's St
Katherine's Dock alongside the Tower of London.
The company's decline came as
fast as its growth. It had overstretched on its borrowings when the
UK was hit by recession and an oil crisis. The high level of
borrowing, mainly from American investors, to pay for the aggressive
expansion programme severely impacted on the profit and loss
account, because of the punitive level of world-wide interests rates
which prevailed throughout 1974. In 1978 Allied Breweries Ltd made
an offer for the company which was accepted and Lyons lost its
independence. It survived for a few years under new management but
eventually it's component parts were gradually sold to pay for
acquisitions associated with the drinks trade notably; Hiram Walker
of Canada and Pedro Domecq of Spain. The Lyons company had survived
for over 100-years. During this whole period it did not feel it
wanted to change its name and from 1887 until 1998 it proudly traded
as J. Lyons & Company.